Wednesday, March 18, 2009


Hi. I've been neglecting the blog because I've been obsessed with Facebook. I just started so I'm in that phase of finding friends and seeing who confirms you as their friend. It is addicting. I've currently been visiting with a guy who served a mission in Mesquite years ago and we had a lot to catch up on. (Elder Cavaness)
Anyhow, I've actually had a stressful couple days. As my family knows I had to call the police on my son's friends' mother. When my kids walked their friend home they found his mom incoherently drunk. And it was after 5pm! I kept him for an hour, fed him dinner, panicked inside, while looking calm on the outside. Finally it dawned on me to call the mom of one of their friends. She's a corrections officer and she told me who to call. I called the dispatcher and they sent an officer over there right away. His mom's boyfriend eventually came to pick him up and take him to his aunt's house that night. I cried a lot that night because the friend told me how bad his home life has been. I suspected something wasn't right months ago because the first time he came to play he asked if I'd adopt him if something happened to his mom. I'd been trying to figure it out since then.
So all yesterday I felt sick to my stomach and tried to get through to CPS. By the way, they don't return my calls. Apparently they don't care what I have to say. I'll keep trying.
His mom did call me and we talked for almost half an hour. I cried and she cried. She admitted she had a problem and was going to the VA hospital within a day to see a doctor. We talked about a lot that I won't rehash. I was very blunt with her though. I told her what her son told me about how his life has been. I wanted her to know how she's affecting him (I've seen a lot of that show Intervention). I made it clear to her that he's been very unhappy. I told her all of this in a non-judgemental and loving way. She was receptive and greatful that I cared about her son and intervened. When Brigham came home from school today he said that the friends dad (birth dad) was taking him today. I don't know what that means. I don't know if that means for one day, the rest of the week, more? But it must mean that something is happening and hopefully for the better. Maybe long enough for his mom to get help.
A few months ago I prayed that Heavenly Father would send me a child that needed me. The next day I met this boy. My testimony has grown a lot in the last few days and I feel stronger and more empowered now. Heavenly Father does hear our prayers and if you ask to be of service He will take you up on it!


NorthLasVegasmom said...

Wow! Good job! It's so gratifying to help others in great times of need, isn't it? I'm glad that you were in that position to help that child out. I sure hope his mom gets the help she needs. Keep us posted.

Nielsen's said...

YOUR ARE SO AMAZING! It took tons of courage to do what you did!!! I'm really proud of you!!! That little boy will remember you for the rest of his life!

I've missed chatting with you!
Love ya, Jen