Tuesday, August 5, 2008

This sounds good

I read this on another website. I wanted to post it so I can try them. I LOVE french fries.

The French Fry

Breakaway StylePosted Tue, May 27, 2008, 4:28 pm PDT

Is there anyone on earth who doesn't like a good batch of fries?
There's plenty of debate on how to make the perfect french fry, and most of it deals with technique: do you fry them twice, as they do in Belgium (the Mecca of many FF connoisseurs)? Which oil, at what temperature? Which potato variety?
Until I discovered a new way to make fries, I rarely made them: I never knew what to do with the large quantities of used oil and was put off by the sheer mess (not to mention health concerns) of using that much oil. I tried making oven-baked fries a number of times, but they just didn't do it for me -- they always seemed a little sodden and not nearly crisp enough.
My discovery: Using a nonstick wok, only about two tablespoons of olive oil, and a few cups of very thinly sliced Russet potatoes (skins on), it's possible to make some very tasty fries.
The key is first to swish the cut potatoes around in a large bowl of cold water, which releases a lot of their starch, and then to dry them thoroughly with a clean towel. You then heat up the oil in the wok over maximum heat and cook them, constantly stirring, for about ten minutes, or until they turn golden. All the oil is absorbed by the potatoes, which turn crispy and cook quickly.

If the deep-fryer turns you off, try this technique, and tell us how you made your fries even more breakaway.

0 comments: